Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Harvest Moon Pumpkin Spice Loaf Cake

I am completely besotted with Starbuck's Gingerbread Loaf Cake that they release every Christmas. Unfortunately we still have to wait a while for the sticky, deliciousness that is Gingerbread cake. Whilst waiting in line to get my customary PSL, I noticed the Autumnal loaf cake offering, the most amazing Pumpkin Spice Loaf Cake I've ever eaten. It was so amazing I had to share it with my equally PSL-loving co-worker. 
I'm not usually a fan of pumpkin seeds, or most seeds for that point. But, when in the sticky, caramel glaze on top of Starbuck's loaf cake, they are so tasty! You've just gotta cover a healthy food in caramel for me to eat it. 
I decided to do something a little different with the topping on my PSL cake - Pumpkin Spice Loaf cake! Maple for me is a super-Autumnal flavour, something about maple syrup just gives me the warm fuzzies, it reminds me of Guyfawkes Night and caramel apples. Yum. I toasted off some pumpkin seeds, and doused them in gorgeous, thick, sweet maple glaze. 
Anyway, here we go into the recipe - I got this one from 'The First Year Blog', however altered it a bit, and I've got the UK names for the ingredients. I do, however, use cups. Cups are something that I'd definitely suggest investing in as a baker, it just opens you up to a whole new world of baking possibilities! 
This loaf is best made under a Harvest Moon, but you could make it later on for Samhain or Halloween if you fancy. Pumpkins are wonderful harvest food, and add amazing moisture to cakes and breads. 
Remember to preheat your oven to 180ÂșC. 
Ingredients
Pumpkin Cake
1&1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1&1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Bicarb of Soda 
1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk
3 Egg Whites
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
Maple Topping
1 Small Handful Pumpkin Seeds
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
1 Cup Icing Sugar
Method
Pumpkin Cake
1 - In a large bowl, combine the sugars, egg whites, milk and pumpkin puree and whisk with a handheld electric whisk. 
2 - Slowly add (sieve) in all of the other ingredients, whisking slowly until combined.
3 - Line a loaf pan, and pour in your mixture. 
4 - Pop in the oven for 50-60 minutes, I know it seems like a long time, but it will need it. If you're concerned, make sure to check up on it at regular intervals, until it springs back to touch. 
Maple Glaze
1 - In a small frying pan, toast off the pumpkin seeds. This can be done whilst making the glaze. 
2 - Melt the butter and syrup together, once melted together, take off the heat and whisk in the icing sugar. 
3 - Set aside to cool and thicken. 
4 - Once the cake is cool, pour over half of the glaze and sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds, let it set and you're done! 
You're going to want to use a bread knife to chop this one up, it's pretty spongey and squishy due to the pumpkin, so a flat-blade will just moosh it. Trust me on this one! 
I absolutely love this loaf cake, it does have an unusual texture, but it's really, really tasty. The spices are amazing, and the maple on top is seriously sweet. Let me know if you try this, or any of my other recipes out.
post signature
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...