Wednesday, 16 October 2013

My favourite Halloween movies

I recently spotted a post over on Christina's blog about her favourite Halloween movies. Anyone that knows me, knows that Halloween (excuse the phrase) is my crack around this time of year. I LOVE scary movies more than any other kind, but I'm the kind of idiot that will watch them alone and love it at the time, then be mentally scarred by it for a fortnight. For example, after watching 'The Woman in Black' (how was that a 12?) I couldn't look in the mirror for days
Halloweentown: It's been one of my favourite Halloween movies for years, it was probably the first Halloween movie I ever watched. It's definitely a classic kid's Halloween movie, I'll never forget the skeleton taxi driver or that I really wanted my grandmother to secretly tell me that she was a witch, alas that has not happened yet. 
Obviously Halloweentown's follow-ups are also pretty good, my favourite of them being Return to Halloweentown simply because I really like Sara Paxton, don't know why. I just do. 
Hocus Pocus: I think that this is in pretty much, every 90's kid saw this at Halloween throughout their childhood, and if you didn't what have you been doing? I love Sarah Jessica Parker in this, because honestly, I HATE Carrie Bradshaw, so I like seeing this side to her. This movie is more of a novelty for me, but gosh I nearly cry every time at a certain moment (the cat bit...don't want to ruin it for y'all that haven't seen it), it really pulls at my heart strings! Anyway, this is a classic favourite of mine, and it's a definite watch for everyone at least once in a lifetime. The Uninvited: I don't know what it is about this movie, but there's something scary but watchable about this movie. It's creepy and strange, it's weird and keeps you guessing like crazy. I LOVE how there's the big reveal in the end (won't ruin it for you) and it makes you second guess yourself, as if you haven't watched the movie quite right or haven't paid attention. The attention to detail in this movie is amazing, I honestly (don't hurt me) prefer this to some of the classic Halloween movies, because it is so mind-bendy and twisted. I LOVE IT! I'm more of a fan of mind-bendy horror than gruesome Saw-style horror. It stars one of my all-time FAVOURITE actresses, Emily Browning. I will literally watch anything with her in! 
Scream 1, 2, 3 & 4: Can you tell that I LOVE the Scream franchise? This seems to be one of those things that I was destined to love, I realise now that I grew up with a load of references to this movie but never really realised it. Again, this movie comes down to some of my favourite horror movie actors and actresses that particularly shine in this franchise, Skeet Ulrich (OhMyGoshILoveHim!), Neve Campbell and David Arquette. There is literally nothing about this franchise that I dislike. 
The Lost Boys: Okay, so there's no way that I'm not going to include at least one vampire movie in my top picks, anyone who knows me, knows that vampires are my thing. I've loved vampires ever since the age of 11 when I first read Justin Somper's 'Vampirates'...I digress. The Lost Boys is a classic vampire movie, I love it! It's creepy, weird, unusual and downright bizarre. It's absolutely brilliant, Kiefer Sutherland it bloody brilliant. It's a brilliant vampire movie and a definite MUST if you can catch it on the Movie channel this Halloween. 
Fright Night (original): Fright Night is one of those scary films that was so brilliant that they decided to remake it in 'modern day' circumstances. The modern version, frankly, is crap. Watch the original. Fright Night is one of my favourites because it contains one of my all-time favourite vampire-werewolf transformations by Evil Ed. If you're into that kind of thing watch this. If you're scared of big, oversized mouths watch this. It's one of those old films that is genuinely creepy.

I think I should wrap it up there, I have so many that I've love to share with you guys but I feel like you'd probably become disinterested after the thirteenth movie eh? I would definitely recommend all of these, and I think I've listed something for everyone, monster movies, family movies and even some brain-twisting, mind-boggling creepers! 
I hope you have a wonderful (and safe) Halloween, and don't steal my costume idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...